Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Am I in the Carnelian-Marine-St. Croix Watershed District?

The CMSCWD encompasses the City of Scandia, Marine on the St. Croix, May Township and portions of Hugo, Grant and Stillwater Township. It covers 81 square miles and includes 31 lakes, three designated trout streams, hundreds of acres of wetland and over 17 miles of St. Croix River shoreline. Click to determine if your property is within the watershed district.

Q: What is a watershed district? 

A:  A Watershed District is a local unit of government authorized under Minnesota statute 103D, whose goal is to conserve natural resources through land use planning, flood control, and other conservation projects. The political boundary of Watershed Districts, Carnelian-Marine-St. Croix included, roughly follows the boundary of the natural watershed they are managing, rather than typical municipal political boundaries (counties, cities, townships).

Q: What does a watershed district do for you?

A: The overarching goal of the Carnelian-Marine-St. Croix Watershed District is to protect the lakes, streams and natural areas that make our area a great place to live.  Anyone fishing, swimming or boating here – or appreciating the scenery – is enjoying the benefits of the Watershed District’s efforts.

Q: Is the watershed district accountable to anyone? 

A:  According to Minnesota State Statute 103B, the Board of Soil and Water Resources is the agency that oversees all watershed districts and water management organizations.

Q: Can my City or Township manage its water without a watershed district? 

A:  Not really. Cities and Townships work in partnership with Watershed Districts. The boundaries of a watershed district overlap municipal boundaries and are defined to include all of the land that has a direct effect on the lakes and streams within its jurisdiction. City and Township boundaries simply do not provide enough control over all of the land that affects water quantity and quality.

Q: How can I learn more about my watershed district? 

A:  There are many ways— contact the District Administrator or a District Manager, come to a district meeting or volunteer to be a part of the Citizens Advisory Committee.